An Old Breed with a New Club
The Norwich Terrier Club of America — Established January 1, 2009
There is a popular saying — Everything old is new again — and this truism certainly applies to the Norwich Terrier Club of America.
In 1936, the American Kennel Club recognized the Norwich Terrier, a breed with one name but two types of ear carriage, the prick-ear and the drop-ear. Two years later, the Norwich Terrier Club of America was formed to incorporate the ever-growing interests of those who fancied these game little dogs. After World War II, the club reorganized in 1947 and was officially recognized by the AKC as the Parent Club for the breed. In 1979, the breed separated into two distinct breeds, the Norwich Terrier (prick-ear) and the Norfolk Terrier (drop-ear), and the club also got a new name – The Norwich and Norfolk Terrier Club. This club would remain in place for over a quarter of a century until 2007, when a majority of its membership voted to grant one club for each separate breed.
And thus, we have come full circle… Seven decades later, the Norwich Terrier Club of America is still going strong, proud of its past and confident of its bright future.